So I’ve been meaning to write this post out for a while now.
Well the idea actually triggered while I was on holiday, sunning it up in Lanzarote… but I refused to do anything but sunbathe, so here it is!
I see a lot of women who are on diets right up until their holiday and then go mental (on the all inclusive) and pile all their weight back on!
People assume that it is impossible to stay healthy and carry on with your usual routine while you travel.
Well I’m here to give you a few pointers of how it’s actually REALLY easy to keep healthy while on holiday…
1. Drink LOTS of water – If you’re travelling to a hot country it’s especially important to keep your fluid intake very high because of the amount we sweat out while sunbathing and walking around in the sun. We don’t realise how easy it is to get dehydrated and as well as being dangerous, it can also trick your body into thinking you’re hungry instead of thirsty.
I’d aim for 3-4 litres of water a day. If you do pig out a little this will also clear your body of any nasty toxins and detox you ready to get back on track the next day!
2. Exercise – Now I don’t know about you but when I go on holiday I usually can only think about getting my bikini on and laying by the pool or heading down the beach. BUT it is important to keep those steps up. If you have a Fitbit or a device similar, make sure you take it with you, so you can keep track. Even phones these days have a built in step tracker, so there really is no excuse!
I love exploring when I’m away, so make sure you aim for 7,000 steps a day, getting your body moving is the key to keeping your body happy and healthy.
Also some hotels have gyms so make use of it! If they don’t have one, most destinations have gyms, so you can buy a day or weeks pass.
3. Breathe – Why not take up a new hobby while you’re away? It’s now super easy to do yoga any time any where with the amount of apps you can get straight to your phone.
Doing 10 minutes of breathing exercises a day can help balance your mood and help you relax. It’s perfect because you can do it anytime and anywhere!
An app I would recommend for iPhone users is ‘stop, breathe & think’ it’s really handy.
4. Eat breakfast – It will fuel you for your adventures, and just line your stomach – especially if you’re having a boozy weekend away!
It really is the most important meal of the day, so don’t forget to eat, even a portion of fruit will set you right for the day ahead.
5. Be mindful about food – I know how super easy it is to go all out when you’re on holiday, and don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with indulging once and a while. But sometimes if we go over-board it can be easy to pile the pounds straight back on, and that holiday diet? Well that’s way out the window.
So be smart about your food choices. Order that extra side of veggies, and think protein – fish and meats are your safest bet.
If you’re still feeling peckish then try snacking on fruit, it’s super sweet and will sort all those cravings out.
I will be doing a blog post next week all about my holiday and giving you some great recommendations which is great if you’re visiting Lanzarote or wanting to book up for next summer… so keep those eyes peeled!
Thanks for reading,